Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spaghetti Carbonara

This recipe is as authentic as it gets. Even my picky father loves it!

A few years ago I traveled Italy with my older son and the Messori family. We tried so many carbonara's hoping for the perfect plate. I hate to say this but I was so disappointed in everyone I tried. When I got home I decided I needed to find and develop my own recipe that was what I remembered from my childhood. And I did it!

I am sharing this recipe because everyone should at least try a great carbonara once in their lives. Yes, it's fattening but a perfect plate in front of a fire with a glass of good Italian wine is a dreamy experience.

Here's the recipe:
Important note; Use the best of ingredient's it makes the world of difference.

5oz pancetta (bacon can be a good substitute)
1 finely chopped medium onion
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 lb. spaghetti (barilla)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt

Cut the pancetta into 1/3 inch dice and cook in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, stirring until fat begins to render. I like to wait until the pancetta is just a bit crisp. Remove pancetta to a paper towel and saute onion in fat until golden brown. Add wine and boil until reduced by half.

Cook spaghetti as directed on package to al dente. while pasta is cooking whisk together eggs, Parmigiano & Pecorino with salt and pepper.

Drain pasta and toss with onion mixture with cooked pancetta. Transfer hot pasta to egg mixture and toss well. Serve Immediately!

This serves about four people. Note the usual warning about raw eggs but I make sure to use a good quality organic egg. I've never been sick from this, as the hot pasta cooks the eggs, but I will never make promises with our food supply so tainted in the US. Take the chance.... it's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment