Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dairy Free Mango Lassi

A full raw diet is controversial these days. Some say go full raw but I believe in adding as much raw foods as you can. They are healthy and full of live enzymes and vitamins your body needs. I could never give up meat totally and sorry but I do love my pancakes and such.

One of my favorite raw food diet cook books is Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo. The book is full of great information about helping the environment and good things for your body. I really like her thoughts and the food she has in this book is easy to prepare compared to a lot of raw food books. It's worth picking up and adding some raw food recipes into your diet.

Recently after all the holiday and birthday parties I have attended I decided to go raw for three days, a detox of sorts and allow my body to rest. Mostly juicing I used a few of her smoothies and her green machine juice in her book. As an Indian food lover, I appreciate her recipe for Mango Lassi that is made with raw foods and is dairy free. A mango lassi in Indian cuisine is filled with dairy and yummy stuff but this version is just as yummy and is so good for you!

Mango Lassi - makes 4 servings
By Ani Phyo

3 cups purified water
2 mango's, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/4 cup soaked almonds*
1/2 cup pitted fresh dates
1 vanilla bean (1 tsp vanilla extract can be substituted)

Blend in a high speed blender (such as Vita Mix) 2 cups water with mango, almonds, dates and vanilla bean until smooth. Add remaining water and blend until smooth.

This will keep for three days in the fridge.

*soak almonds over night in purified water, rinse and use.

No comments:

Post a Comment